- Are you facing foreclosure of your home?
- Are you receiving calls from creditors?
- Has your bank account been frozen?
- Has your paycheck been garnished?
- Are you being sued by a credit card company?
- Are you being sued for unpaid medical bills?
- Are you the type of person who has mail stuffed in a drawer or corner of your home?
- Are your bank statements and credit card bills still in their envelopes?
- Do you receive only paper statements, and refuse to use online banking?
- Are you scared of going through your documents, mortgage statements, or pay stubs?
- Are you scared of going to court?
- Are you scared of speaking to a trustee? Are you scared of public speaking?
What documents Will We Need?
|1.||Government issued photo ID (for example a driver’s license with your correct address)|
|2.||Social security card|
|3.||Pay-stubs for the past sixty (60) days and all stubs to the date of filing,|
|4.||Federal tax return filed for the past two years|
|5.||Information about each creditor you owe. We must be given the creditor’s name, address, account number and the amount you owe. Please send us the last statement sent to you by each of your creditors|
|1.||RETAIN OUR OFFICE: Your case is assigned a “B” file number. We start preparing your petition for transmittal to the NYC bankruptcy court. We speak to your creditors when they call our office regarding your account. We will confirm to callers that you are a client of our office. True protection from creditor harassment is obtained when your petition is filed with the Bankruptcy Court of New York. You should tell creditors that call that you are filing bankruptcy and that you are represented by Spodek Law Group P.C..|
|2.||MEANS TEST ANALYSIS: If your income is “above average” we will analyze your income and expenses by application of the so called “financial means test”. From the results we will advise if chapter 7 bankruptcy is available to you. If it is not then we will discuss your options under chapter 13 bankruptcy.|
|3.||PRE-FILING CREDIT BRIEFING: A precondition of being able to file for bankruptcy is completing a “credit briefing” session. This can be done by telephone or over the Internet. Our office will arrange for this service that is provided by an independent credit counseling service.|
|4.||PETITION FILED: Your bankruptcy petition has been accepted at the NYC Bankruptcy Court for filing. A court case number (docket number) has been assigned. A court order is issued that protects you against collection efforts.|
|5.||THE COURT HEARING: You and qualified New York bankruptcy attorney from our office will attend a court hearing before the case trustee. This hearing is known as the “meeting of creditors”. At the hearing the facts and circumstances of your case will be reviewed.|
|6.||POST-FILING CREDIT BRIEFING: A precondition of obtaining a Discharge is completing a “financial management class” session. This can be done by telephone or by the Internet. Our office will arrange for this service that is provided by an independent credit counseling service.|
|7.||DISCHARGE GRANTED: The time for any creditors who may have had grounds to object to your Discharge has passed. The Bankruptcy Court issues you a Discharge Certificate. Your case has been successfully completed.|
Page updated on 11/15/13.